Friday, February 19, 2016

Salve!
This week I met with the world renowned Dr. Bigley to help me better understand the French language.  She explained to me how the perfect and pluperfect tenses work in French, and it is a little different from the other languages. Like the other languages, French uses an auxiliary helping word for the passe compose, which is their past tense. But in French there are two helping words that conjugate with the verb, avoir and etre. You use etre when your verb is showing movement, and you use avoir for everything else. 
Once I understood the passe compose, I moved on to comparing the grammatical morphology of ir and er verbs. The endings for ar, er, and ir verbs are slightly different from each other in each tense. For example the Spanish present tense endings for ar, er, and ir verbs is shown below. 



Singular
-ar
-er
-ir
Plural
-ar
-er
-ir
1st
o
e
o
1st
amos
emos
imos
2nd
as
es
es
2nd
àis
èis
is
3rd
a
e
e
3rd
an
en
en

I wasn't able to finish the morphology comparisons due to some technical difficulties. But I plan on finishing this coming week and including it in next week's post.



5 comments:

  1. What does it mean when when a verb shows movement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After comparing for 3 weeks, which language has the most points as of now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you finish all the indicatives, what tense do you plan on working with next? Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. World renowned, huh? I love that. She is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. World renowned, huh? I love that. She is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete