Monday, April 18, 2016

Buenos Dias!
I finished the semantics comparisons! Well sort of anyway, I gathered a total of 527 words in Latin, translated them into each language, compared each word and tallied up the points. I still have to put this information into a chi square analysis. I'm not completely sure how I am going to do that, but I will figure it out and publish the results.
For now however, without doing the analysis and just looking at the overall raw scores, I can tell you that Italian received the most points. Spanish came in second place, Portuguese in third, and French in fourth. These scores don't mean much as they are right now though. I only looked at 527 of the words in the entire Latin language. It might have just been the words that I compared that made Italian win; there could be more words in Spanish or French that are more similar to Latin than they are in Italian. So hopefully after I figure out the chi square analysis I will be able to see clearer results.

I also finished collecting tests to take in each of the languages and got some student volunteers to also take them. The tests all go over grammar and vocab and are all level one, except for Spanish which is level three because I already know a little Spanish. Those results should be in by next week, and so should the syntax comparisons. Sorry to keep you in suspense!

No comments:

Post a Comment