Friday, April 8, 2016

Semantics

Ciao!
This week I continued to gather words for my semantics comparisons. I looked at 195 more words, and out of a possible 390 points, Italian received 216, Spanish received 182, Portuguese received 169, and French received 147. So all together I have looked at 380 words, and Italian is in the lead with a total of 393 points out of a possible 760 points. I am going to try to compare at least 500 words total to make sure I have enough data to be as accurate as possible. Then I can move on to comparing the syntax of each language.
Also this week, I started looking into getting the level one tests for each of the languages that I have been working with. It turned out to be a little more difficult than I had anticipated. I emailed some professors at different universities and they were all very helpful, but the problem is that it's hard to find a test in each language that is similar enough for me to compare my scores. Some are more difficult or more specific than others and that's a problem. So I am going to keep searching and hopefully get some tests that I can use.
I also need some of my fellow AP Latin students to take the tests with me. That way I can tell if it is the Latin that is being helpful, and not anything that I have picked up over the last couple of weeks while I was doing my comparisons. So if any of you would like to volunteer, please let me know!
Arrivederci!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    I'm impressed that you've reached out to professors for help. That's what this is all about--using resources effectively. Then you can learn anything! Good job.

    ReplyDelete